Welcome to our arm workouts with weights for women! You don’t need a gym for strong, defined arms. All you need are dumbbells, your body weight and these exercises for biceps and triceps.
Gone are the days when only men had trained upper arms.
We women also want a defined biceps and triceps.
And why? Well, because it’s just sexy 🙂
Every woman is different. And every woman has a different training goal. However, trained upper arms are increasingly on the wish list.
They should not be too muscular but beautifully shaped.
In our arm training for women, we will tell you how you can get beautiful tight upper arms.
Untrained muscles and obesity quickly turn hanging meat into arms. The upper arms go limp and the fatty tissue hangs down.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. With regular arm training, you can convert flabby arms into defined upper arms.
And you don’t even have to go to the gym and do heavy weights for hours. Because you can also train your upper arms in the living room.
With a regular 10-minute workout, you will already see first success. Let’s fight the arms together.
Little motivation? In beautiful summer tops and dresses, you can impress others with your trained upper arms 🙂 And summer is coming faster than we often like.
In a typical workout, we usually train the stomach, legs, buttocks and sometimes the back. The arms are mostly neglected.
Regular training of the arms has many advantages. It doesn’t just look pretty sexy. If you strengthen your arms, it is much easier to lift heavy things, carry shopping bags, carry mineral water bottles or open the cucumber jar.
Arm workouts for women also strengthen the shoulders and upper back. So the tension in the neck has less chance.
The 21 Best Exercises For Tight Upper Arms
Our workout is divided into exercises with dumbbells and pure bodyweight exercises. You don’t have to do all of the exercises in one workout at once.
Rather, the variety of arms training should be an orientation. It is best to always choose other exercises, so your muscles always get new stimuli.
Do 10 repetitions and 2 passes of each exercise. It helps if you shake your arms well after the first set.
1. Lift the dumbbells to the side
Lateral lifting is a strengthening exercise that primarily targets your shoulders.
With this, you train all 3 parts of the deltoid muscle – especially the middle part and the upper fibres of the hood muscle are used.
- Stand up straight, stretch your back.
- You hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Hold the dumbbells at the level of your thigh.
- Now slowly raise the weight until it is horizontal. Exhale.
- When you inhale, lower the dumbbells again.
2. Women pushups
We often lack the strength to do pushups. If you feel the same way, we have a light variant of push-ups here. This is how you can shape your upper arms nicely. Without exercise equipment.
- Lie on your stomach on the mat.
- The palms are at the shoulders. The elbows are on the body.
- Take your legs in the air and slowly push yourself away from the yoga mat. Do not get a swing, but do the arm exercise with the power of the upper arms.
- Move your body back down until the burst touches the mat.
- And push up again.
3. Arm training for the triceps
This exercise from our arm weights training is aimed at your triceps. If the exercise is too easy for you, you just have to increase the weight. But your thighs and buttocks also benefit from it.
- Stand upright and step forward with your right foot.
- Bend your knee and stretch your back leg.
- Now you raise your arms at the same time and slowly as high as you can.
- Hold briefly and then lower again.
4. Lift the dumbbells over your head
And now the biceps are really on the collar. This exercise from the arm workouts for women is not for the faint of heart 🙂 Take the heavier weight for it.
Important: do the exercise slowly!
- Stand up straight.
- Extend your arms over your head and let them slide down very slowly.
- As in photo two, your elbows are level with your shoulders.
- Then you lift the weight back into the air.
- Do not take off or put down!
5. Sit-ups with dumbbells
In this exercise, you can combine your arm workout with an abdominal workout. The perfect all-rounder 🙂
- Lie on your back.
- Place your feet at a slight angle on the mat.
- You hold a dumbbell in your right and left hand.
- Now start with sit-ups.
- The dumbbells are crossed.
- Change the top barbell after each successful sit-up.
- Make sure your arms are always straight.
6. Arm training for the biceps
Here you should use heavy weights to challenge your biceps. In the photo, it is 4 kilograms.
- Stand upright and take a barbell in each hand.
- Your upper arms are right on your body throughout the exercise.
- Now you slowly raise the dumbbells to shoulder height.
- And then slowly lower it again – but not completely.
- Just before your arms are straight, you lift the weights again.
7. Bicep arm training for women
You can see how wonderfully your biceps starts to grow after just a few units. Compared to other parts of the body, arm muscles grow relatively quickly. With this upper arm exercise, you can convince yourself of the result.
- Stand upright and take a barbell in each hand.
- Lift the elbow sideways until it is level with the shoulder.
- Pull the barbell towards your head and then extend your arm sideways.
- The elbow always stays in the same position.
8. Plank up as a workout for the arms
With this exercise in arms workout for women, you have a wonderful full-body exercise. Because here every muscle group in your body is really activated. This makes the exercise very difficult, but at the same time very effective.
- Start in the simple plank.
- Your elbows are under your shoulders and your body forms a line.
- Now you straighten up to full planks (push-up starting position).
- And then it goes down again.
9. Bring the dumbbells together in front of the body
This exercise from the arms training for female will be particularly popular with beginners. The implementation is very simple. If it is too easy for you, you can simply take a heavier weight.
- Stand up straight. Straighten your back. Take a barbell in each arm.
- Extend your arms sideways away from you. The palms are at shoulder level.
- Now you bring your arms together in front of your body. The arms remain well-stretched throughout the exercise.
10. Body rotation with weight
Now you can sit down. But there is no question of relaxing with this upper arm exercise.
- Sit on the exercise mat.
- Bend your legs and lift them off the floor.
- Grab a weight and lift it alternately from right to left. But never put it on the mat.
11. Full body exercise for the arms
So now it’s getting really tiring. Now your sense of balance is required. Start with smaller weights, because the exercise is very demanding even without dumbbells.
- Stand on your right leg. Extend your left leg and left hand as straight as possible backwards and forwards.
- The right hand is at the height of your buttocks and also stretched out firmly.
- Now you start to swap the position of the right and left hand. Your arms stay fully stretched all the time.
12. Trips dip with table
Grab your coffee table. It is now being used as a training device 🙂
- Place your palms on the table. The fingers point to you. The legs are bent.
- Now you raise and lower your body until you almost come to the floor with your buttocks.
- And up again until your arms are stretched out and your bottom is level with the table surface.
13. Boxing with barbells as arm training for women
The perfect exercise to relieve a little frustration. So you can really work out.
- Take both dumbbells to your chest.
- Now you first stretch the right one forward. Until your arm is stretched out.
- Pull her back to your chest and stretch your other arm.
- Do this exercise a little faster. However, make sure that it is carried out correctly!
14. Arm training for the biceps
This time it’s going up steeply. Above all, this demands your biceps and gives you crisp upper arms.
- Stand shoulder-width apart and take a barbell in each hand.
- Lightly touch your shoulders with the weights.
- Tense your upper arms and lift the dumbbells over your head.
- Hold briefly and then slowly lower again.
15. Push-ups with a table
Grab your coffee table again. Make sure that he cannot slip away. It either stands against the wall or is absolutely non-slip. Otherwise, you could injure yourself.
- Form a board with the body – a line from the heels to the head.
- Tense your buttocks and stomach.
- Extend your arms.
- Bend your arms and do pushups on the table.
If this is too difficult for you, you can do without lowering and lifting the body. You also train your upper arms in normal plank.
16. One arm planks with weight for your triceps and biceps
This arm training consists of two parts and simultaneously tones your stomach, legs and buttocks.
- Get into the plank position with your arms straight. To do this, you only touch the floor with your toes and the right palm.
- You hold a barbell in your left hand.
- Now you stretch your hand out backwards.
- And then slowly lower it again.
- Only at the level of your buttocks do you bend your elbows.
- With the weight, you touch your shoulders.
- Then you stretch the barbell back again.
17. The bridge as arm training for women
This variation of the bridge is a good workout for the arms and also the thighs. So you kill two birds with one stone 🙂
- Sit on the exercise mat.
- Bend your legs and put your arms behind your body.
- Lift your butt a little off the mat.
- And now slowly so high until your body forms a line.
18. Dips for your triceps and biceps
Here you should grab the heavier dumbbell again. In addition to your triceps and biceps, your shoulder muscles are also challenged.
- Hold the barbell very firmly (!) In your hands.
- Lift them over your head and stretch your arms tight.
- Now you lower the weight slowly and as deep as you can.
- Then up again.
- It is important that you change the upper and lower hand after about 5x lifting. So that both upper arms are trained equally.
You can only hold the weight by the disc at the top – then both hands are always on the same level. However, if the barbell slips out of your hands, it can cause serious injuries.
19. Arm training with the upper arms extended
This exercise may look simple, but it is still very effective. If it is too light for you, you simply take heavier weights.
- Extend your arms forward. You hold a barbell in each hand.
- Cross the dumbbells.
- Now you alternately change the position of the right and left hand by moving the right hand to the right and the left to the left.
In the beginning, you do this with very small movements. Then the distance between the arms increases as you change. Make sure that your arms are always fully extended.
20. Exercise arms, stomach, legs with weight
And another whole body workout for you. Because here legs, arms and stomach are integrated.
- Lie on your back.
- Raise your legs and stretch your arms over your head.
- You hold a dumbbell in your hands.
- And now you stretch your legs as high as possible. You have to be stretched out.
- Raise your shoulders off the floor and try to bring your fingers and toes together as far as possible.
Incidentally, this is a super-effective one for your stomach 🙂 Don’t despair! Time will get easier!
21. Stretch arms and shoulders
And finally, the arms deserve a little relaxation. We stretch it a little and hope that the sore muscles will not turn out too bad 🙂
- Stand upright and bend your knees a little.
- Lean your upper body forward.
- Extend your hands back and raise them as high as you can. The palms face up.
- Lower your arms to your buttocks and then lift them straight up again.
- Important: The arms are well stretched all the time.
Which muscles are strengthened during arm workouts
Everyone knows the famous biceps and their little brother, the triceps. But did you know that both consist of several muscle groups, which one is suitable for what and why you should always train both?
He really is the most famous muscle in our arms. The biceps consists of two muscles. A long head on the outside and a short head on the inside. Together they make up the biceps and make sure we can bend the elbow.
The biceps muscles are much better known for their appearance. The long head is responsible for the width of the biceps. The short one for the height.
The opponent of the biceps is the triceps. It sits on the back of the upper arm and makes up 2/3 of the upper arm circumference. If he is not trained, he takes care of the famous waving arms. The triceps is a typical support and push muscle and consists of three muscles: the long, inner and lateral head.
The forearm muscles are involved in every arm exercise. These muscle groups are the most complex of the entire human body.
The forearm also consists of 2 muscle groups. The flexor muscle on the inside and the extensor muscle on the outside. Whether we lift something and support it on our hands or reach for something: the forearm is always there live 🙂
Why you should tighten your upper arms
One side is, of course, the visual aspect. Exercised biceps and triceps are sexy for both men and women. Strong arms also give us self-confidence and help us in other sports.
With arm training, you benefit from swimming, climbing, push-ups, handball and much more.
By the way, with most arm exercises you train shoulders.
What you need for arm Workouts
Those who do not have to lift and carry heavy things regularly cannot avoid arm exercises. Targeted upper arm training is needed.
If you are just starting out, you need very light weights . 1 kg per dumbbell is ideal for arms training.
The longer you train and the more you use the weights, the sooner you can replace the light beginner dumbbells with heavy ones. But don’t overdo it.
In the beginning, it is not important that you immediately lift 5 kg, but that you do your upper arm exercises correctly.
You don’t have dumbbells at home? Then you can also grab water bottles. Here you can also choose from 0.5 to 2 kg. By the way, bottles are the perfect equipment to train away arms.
There are many exercise machines that target biceps and triceps. We’re going to show you dumbbell exercises today.
What is important in arm training
Patience! You have to give your muscles time to show. It is very important that you pay attention to a clean execution during arm training. If your arms start to wiggle when you lift the barbell or if you ca n’t lift your arms off your body, you are clearly too heavy.
Building muscle during arm training is a process that can drag on. That’s why you should also differently heavyweights have on hand.
What you need to keep in mind with every arm workout exercise are your knees. You must always be slightly bent during all exercises. Your back is straight. Your stomach stays tense the whole training time. Make sure that you push your shoulders back to stand upright.
You have to pay attention to this as a beginner in arm workout:
1. Don’t do too many exercises per workout
Choose only 3 exercises per training session. Of course, you can do more later. But in the beginning, only a few are enough. Because too many exercises at most lead to overtraining of the arm muscles.
2. The right weight
Choose the weight of the barbell so that you can do 10 repetitions each time. The last one should be difficult for you. If you could go on forever, you need to increase the weight. If you can only lift the barbell 2-3 times, the weight is clearly too high.
3. Take breaks too
Yes, your upper arms should get strong quickly. But you also have to give your muscles time to catch their breath. You have to adapt to the training stimuli. Start by taking at least a day off between arm training.
4. Switch exercises
Every 2 to 3 weeks, you should do the exercises for arms training change. So you have the greatest effect. If you do the same exercise at all times, your muscles will get used to it. The training success will not be so great.
Whether there is a difference in arms training for women and men
Basically, both arms of women and men are constructed the same. We have the same muscle groups. However, many men naturally have stronger muscles – even when they are not exercising.
We, women, have to work a little more with arm training. With us, the total body fat percentage is higher. The muscles are often not as pronounced. You can tell that, for example, from the fact that men who don’t train still do a few push-ups. This is rarely the case with women.
So the arm exercises are the same. We just have to do a lot more. Doesn’t matter, we’re more combative anyway 🙂
Do you get thick upper arms from exercising?
No. No fear. Our arm training for women leads to your upper arms becoming slimmer and building light muscles.
You won’t look like a bodybuilder. Or become extremely muscular. With our exercises, your arms tend to become slim and tight.
How arms help against waving arms
Low-angle arms are nothing more than excess fat. It collects in the place where the triceps should actually be. Bingo arms can be annoying, especially when waving. The love handles flicker with the arm movement.
What can help is arm training? For women who fight against arms of the corner, the first thing to do is to reduce body fat. So to do a mix of strength and endurance sports.
Targeted biceps or triceps exercises can then be fine-tuned. By the way, you don’t need any equipment for Winkearm exercises. You can do that very well with a water bottle in the living room.
What a beautiful woman’s arm looks like
Upper arms like a bodybuilder? No, do not worry. You won’t get this with our workout. With our arm training, your upper arms become slim, yet strong and get a clear contour.
So exactly what many women want at the moment: a well-trained biceps and triceps that you can only see when your arms are tensed.
After all, we don’t want to take part in any bodybuilder competitions, nor do we want to be exposed as office workers.
So: class comes before mass. Arm training that uses your biceps and triceps gives you beautifully defined muscles. You don’t have to be afraid of Popeye’s poor 🙂
Our arms only have to signal something to others – here someone can grab if they have to.
You don’t have to register in the gym for a well-defined biceps and triceps. You can also easily do arms training for tight upper arms in the living room.
You can start with simple water bottles. Then you should get dumbbells. Because you can attack dumbbells much better. A water bottle that falls out of your hand can land on your toes and that’s anything but pleasant.
You can incorporate the weight into your daily workout. Because you can also add dumbbells to your lunge or sitting on the wall.